Friday, March 23, 2012

Gorguts - Considered Dead (1991)

Remember that Craigslist Ad I was having a laugh over? Of course you fucking don't, because it was removed by the Craigslist dicksmiths for whatever reason. Jeff, what the fuck happened? We all want to see it.

 I asked Jeff, the bloke behind the ad, to do a guest post here on SHOM. He obliged professing how rad my blog is and saying things like "Making out with the Queen would be less of an honor"… or something along those lines. Here it is:

•  •  •


 An Oldie But an Asskicker
===================
  
Gorguts. How many people remember this band from the early 90's? How many people have actually HEARD them? I am here to rectify that, with extreme prejudice.

 Gorguts' debut album "Considered Dead" is an album that I have replaced several times. I initially purchased it as a vinyl album, then as a cassette tape, and finally a CD. That's how much this album kicks ass. In a time when Slayer, Nuclear Assault, Overkill, and bands like Carcass were changing the Metal landscape that Metallica and Megadeth had helped shape, I was looking for something new. Something heavy and brutal I could blast in my Mustang with the windows down, to attract chicks to pleasure my meat lance.

 Gorguts' "Considered Dead" achieved this goal.
Every song is like a brick in the face: Urgent. Violent. The guitars were tight and heavy, with enough low-end to vibrate the bones beneath my skin and muscle. John Longstreth's drums provided a sense of impending doom that was only a moment away ... but by the time you realized it, you just didn't give a shit anymore. Listening to each track imparted secret, doomy portents to my THC-soaked brain. Everything seemed to fit together perfectly ... it was one of those albums where every song was bad ass, and you never skipped a track.

 Recently I was going through a box of shit I had laying in my closet, and re-found this lost slice of brutality that Gorguts had somehow pressed onto a CD. Nostalgic, I put it in my CD player and instantly ordered a backup copy off the Internet. TWENTY ONE years later, this still stands up to most of today's Metal Bands, and in many cases shames them into mediocrity.

 Do yourself a favor and check these guys out. The first album (as with many bands) is possibly the best of their discography, but as everyone's tastes differ, you may find something you are into with their later work, as well.

 - Jeff Dore'

Meat Lance

Thanks dude, I will be doing a few more guest posts here and there by my friends of the inter-web and blogroll wankery.

6 comments:

  1. Jeff rules! Erosion is better though, but Considered turned my world upside down for a long as time. Starting with their track on that Monsters Of Death comp. This was in the early 90s and I'm still a loyal and avid fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still can't interpret what goes on Obscura. New Gorguts coming this year so let's see what's in store

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I think I'd have to say The Erosion of Sanity was my personal favorite. Like Mark said, new Gorguts released towards the end of the year, it will be interesting to see if I give a shit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pestilence - Consuming Impulse was my 2nd pick for all-around bad-assery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That would of worked. I still find that album cover a laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ant face. Looked like something I drew in my 10th Grade math class when I was bored, ha ha! Still a bad ass CD, though.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know you're here…