Thursday, January 27, 2022

Cloakroom - Dissolution Wave (2022)


•  †  •

Here's another album I'm looking forward to based off the teaser tracks on their respective bandcamp page, Cloakroom's third full-length, Dissolution Wave. I can deduce, by unpacking what I'm hearing in these three songs that this shit is going to be a scintillating coast down sonic highways traversing shoegaze, drone, bits of sludge and indie with helpings of stoner rock and post-punk (just to namedrop a few more genres into the fray).

I would be jumping to conclusions to speak any more factually without actually hearing the full album first, but it sounds like it's the bands most cohesive effort yet, which is saying something for me because I was never really gung-ho about the two previous albums fully. Again, speaking preemptively, it sounds as if everything has come to full bloom on Dissolution Wave. The songs are robust and the production is right on the fucking money—when it needs to pack a hammer, it does so with force, when it needs to float in suspended animation, it gently sways along beautifully, when we ask it to marry the two forces, it answers with complete fluidity.

I find it tiring to read about music in an overly-intellectualized way, so I'll try to say this succinctly. The overall tone is a shifting one. Unfurling riffs and tone that hit like a megaton hammer towards gradually cascading into ephemeral shoegaze and drone that inevitably sputter into moments of dream-pop. Which is only to be cut back into a vast doom like territory filled with more crunching lo-fi guitars and reverb. Highly recommended!

Cloakroom - Dissolution Wave (bandcamp)

2 comments:

  1. I checked this some time ago and liked it more than expected, a shoegaze rooted album to bring me back to the genre after years.

    Nice text!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I've definitely been slightly estranged from the more abrasive side of shoegaze (beyond the obvious albums) myself, lately.

      Now that I've heard all of the album, I still feel like it's at it's strongest when it's shifting it's weight around a bit, rather than going head-on into solely drone rock territory, like it does on 'Doubts'.

      Delete

Let me know you're here…