Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Akhlys - Melinoë (2020)




•  †  •

I've been following most things affiliated with Naas Alcameth, the main song-writer behind Akhlys and force behind the likes of Bestia Arcana, Nightbringer and Aoratos, since the essence that permeates everything he touches is smeared in some cosmic ferocity. Akhlys has been on my radar since I heard The Dreaming I, a feral amalgamation of black metal and dark ambience is the backbone behind the barrage of double-bass and whirring tremolo picking.

From the teaser tracks, it's more of the same. A meat and potatoes barrage of black metal with passages and sequences dipping heavily into ambient territory, and it's equally plummeting and challenging to get through, in the sense of auditory fatigue, but I still find myself hitting the play button. KNEEL has released my favourite take on black metal this year so far, so everything else comes second. 

Melinoë (bandcamp)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know you're here…