Friday, July 13, 2018

Unified Right - Straight to Hell (2017)


•  †  •

I don't get too excited over newer hardcore albums these days, knowing that it will probably sound like hardcore and that's an okay thing and I'll continue to listen to the old and the new without much interest in chewing any fat or digging through subtleties and nuances of its sound. It's, generally speaking, relatively straight forward.

•  Ω  •

I didn't know Unified Right released a new album in 2017, (again, I was too busy listening to Amenra's "VI") but word finally reached my eyes and ears and played it through like any ol' day. It finished rather quickly (again, hardcore), and once it was done I didn't have a strong opinion one way or another… I mean, I liked it. Forward three or five spins later though, and my opinion of this album was very, very high.

It holds the same structure as most hardcore but it definitely doesn't sound like most umbrella hardcore, likely due to the gruff and off-kilter cadence of Branden's singing -Most comparingly to Ray Cappo of Youth of Today - but there's an array of really cool tom fills, riffs (and solos) and tones floating around this short and devastating heartfelt hardcore album. Incendiary and Unified Right for 2017 maybe?

Too hardcore for smartphone punks. Too punk for clap mosh losers.

Ps; The industry hammer hitting anvil section a minute into 'Consuming Satisfaction' is hard as nails.

Straight to Hell (bandcamp)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know you're here…